We are pleased to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about Aquaculture and Angling Lakes Insurance.

If you have any additional enquiries, please contact the team below.

Frequently Asked Questions - Aquaculture

What species do you insure?

We are happy to insure finfish, however for inquiries for prawns and other shellfish,
please contact James Simison by email at: james.simison@sunderlandmarine.com or Calvin Hillary by email at:

Do you only insure aquaculture facilities which produce fish for the table?

No, we also provide cover for angling lakes and non-food species such as cleaner fish.

Can I insure my equipment as well?

We provide cover for equipment such as cages, nets and moorings and ancillary equipment associated with cage farms, but not equipment used in land-based production.

Do I need to complete a Proposal Form?

Yes. The information provided in the Proposal Form is used by the underwriting team and risk management surveyors to assess the risk and to prepare terms. There is also a requirement to submit monthly stock declarations to ensure the correct premium is charged during the policy year.

Is a premium payment instalment plan available?

Yes, available at no additional charge and interest free.

How long has Sunderland Marine been in business?

We have been providing marine insurance since 1882 and aquaculture insurance since 1986.

Who are Aquaculture Risk Management and what do they do?

Aquaculture Risk Management (ARM) is the technical and surveying team in the Aquaculture department of Sunderland Marine. ARM operates from Newcastle, Melbourne, Vancouver, and Dublin, conducting routine surveys of all aquaculture facilities insured by Sunderland Marine and producing a bespoke risk management report. In addition, the surveyors are available around the clock to provide technical advice and support to all of our Aquaculture policyholders. The service is free and complementary to all policyholders.

Frequently Asked Questions - Angling Lakes

How is the first loss limit calculated?

This is at the discretion of the proposer and represents the limit that is claimable under this policy. If a claim is made then the limit is reduced by the value lost. If desired, a reinstatement premium can be paid to restore the First Loss Limit to the pre-loss level.

How is the rate calculated?

The rate is calculated by looking at all the features of the operations as well as the relationship between the first loss limit and the total amount of stock on site. For this reason it is important that an up-to-date stock inventory is supplied.

What does this policy cover against?

This policy covers stock mortality caused by one of the perils in the policy document. Please note that this is a named perils policy therefore, in the case of a loss, it will be up to the policyholder to prove that the loss was caused by an insured peril.

Losses are considered on the production of mortalities.

What is actually covered?

Stock is insured as per the indemnity scale in the policy document. This is produced using various pricing models around the UK. Only the species of fish listed are covered under this policy however this, and the indemnity value, can be reviewed on request.

What isn't covered?

The two major exclusions under this policy are for losses caused by intentional slaughter and for any single fish.

It is worth emphasising that if a restriction order is imposed on the site the policy will only pay out in the event of mortality.

Can I only insure one lake/pond?

Unfortunately not, the policy will be effective across the site as a whole. This is because it would be difficult to ascertain if a loss had occurred in an insured or uninsured pond.

Can I only insure my carp?

Although the indemnity scale lists a number of species that can be insured under the policy, a single species can be insured if desired.

In these instances we will still require an inventory of the lakes for risk management purposes, however only the value of the carp will be used in the calculation of the sum insured.

When should I report a loss of fish?

Any losses that may result in a claim on the policy should be reported as soon as possible by phone, fax or email.

Once notification has been received Sunderland Marine and Aquaculture Risk Management will be able to provide advice on the most appropriate action to take.

Will notifying Sunderland Marine of numerous losses that don't result in a claim affect my future renewal?

No, we actively encourage notifications for any reason. Notification allows Aquaculture Risk Management to assist in managing potential problems to help keep losses to the insured to a minimum.

What evidence do I need to keep during a loss?

All primary documentary evidence should be kept for review if the loss results in a claim. Photographs should be taken of mortality and sample weights of the mortality should be taken.

If theft is suspected should I notify the police?

Yes, at the same time that Sunderland Marine is notified.

If disease is suspected what do I do?

If a disease is suspected please notify us. A Disease Period will start from notification (we can only go back 72 hours). All mortality will be considered as part of a claim within the next 30 days less the normal expected mortality over a one month period.

When will my claim be settled?

We provide a professional and prompt service that will consider each claim on its own merits.